Sunday 16 October 2011

When the rain started

We live in Australia's tropical arid north. There are two seasons, according to whitefellas: the wet and the dry. (The First Nations people from these parts recognise many more seasons than that).

In between the wet and dry there is what I guess is a mini-season: the build-up. The humidity starts to increase, but doesn't yet bring the relief of monsoonal downpours. It's meant to be a pretty hard and exhausting time of year. We southerners were warned.

The last few days the heat and humidity just started to get to me. A five-minute bike ride exhausted me and drenched me in sweat. This morning I woke to the sound of very animated green tree frogs: I couldn't see any but there voices echoed and bounced out of pots, toilet bowls, guttering and other beautifully echoing habitats around the garden.

It seems they knew they were in for a treat today! The rain has started! Is this the end of the dreaded wet season? Already? Or just a teaser, a promise of what is to come?

I wish this blog let me manipulate the size of photos, so you could appreciate the newly sodden backyard environment in all its sparkling glory.

Nonetheless, check it out:





No comments:

Post a Comment